Just to set the tone for Valentine Day here are a few books and films that I have loved over the years.
For those who love nothing more than to snuggle up with a great story:
- The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald: obsessive, and unrequited, love
- Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte: love through trauma, toward eventual fulfilment
- Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez: exploration into the extremes of idealised love
- The Life and Loves of a She Devil, Fay Weldon: revengeful, merciless love
- The Gift of the Magi, O Henry: short story of devoted, unconditional love
Great romantic films spanning the last eight decades:
- Now Voyager, Bette Davis and Paul Henreid, 1942
- The African Queen, Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart, 1951
- Splendour in the Grass, Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty, 1961
- The Way We Were, Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford, 1973
- When Harry Met Sally, Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal, 1989
- Ghost, Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze, 1990
- Groundhog Day, Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell, 1993
- There’s Something About Mary, Cameron Diaz and Ben Stiller, 1998
- It’s Complicated, Meryl Streep and Steve Martin, 2009
- Just Go with It, Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston, 2011
These are only a handful of titles out of hundreds. I am sure you will have dozens more that you might like to add to my list.
If you have enjoyed my post please like, share, and comment.
Thank you for reading.